Many Americans struggle to maintain their weight through diet and exercise alone. Several conditions are associated with obesity, including hypertension, heart attack and stroke. Obesity can also affect your ability to enjoy your favorite activities and impact your relationships and professional life. Bariatric surgery is an effective solution for those who have already tried to lose weight through diet and weight loss with little to no success. While every surgery comes with risks, it is a safe and effective way for people to improve their quality of life.
Obese Patients Benefit the Most From Weight Loss Procedures
Losing weight is challenging for many people, especially those who have struggled with weight-related issues for most of their lives. While most people begin a diet and weight loss routine with the best intentions, they may become discouraged and slowly slip into old habits. For those who tried and failed to achieve meaningful weight loss through previous efforts, bariatric surgical procedures may be the best option.
What Are the Benefits of Considering Weight Loss Surgery?
Thousands of people have experienced sustained weight loss through bariatric surgery. Adhering to your doctor’s guidance and following their instructions will increase your chances of significant weight loss and improve your quality of life.
- Increased longevity – Some studies indicate that life expectancy may increase for those who undergo bariatric surgery. This finding is encouraging for those who are severely obese and are suffering from significant health related issues. Conclusively, weight loss surgery is a particularly effective way to boost your overall lifespan.
- Reduction in cardiovascular disease – By losing weight, you may experience a reduction in cholesterol levels and blood pressure, therefore lowering your overall risk of stroke and heart disease.
- Potential remission of type 2 diabetes – Weight loss can improve insulin sensitivity and blood sugar levels, leading to potential remission in type 2 diabetes.
- Resolution of respiratory issues – Many people who are obese struggle with respiratory disease, especially sleep apnea, asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Bariatric surgery may improve your ability to breathe and increase overall lung function.
- Better self-image – Living with obesity may lead to depression and feelings of sadness and isolation. While weight loss surgery alone will not improve your mental health, it is a significant step towards helping you enjoy better body image and increased self-esteem.
Losing weight is a rewarding and life-changing experience. Diet and exercise alone may not be enough to achieve your desired weight loss. If you are dealing with secondary health conditions due to obesity, you may benefit from bariatric surgery.
What Are the Risks Involved With Bariatric Surgery?
While weight loss surgical procedures are safe, there are still risks to consider. Understanding the potential complications will help you make the right decision for your situation.
- Infections – Like any procedure, the incision site is susceptible to infection. When caught early, most infections are easily treatable through antibiotics.
- Blood clots – Surgery can lead to the development of blood clots, which may become dangerous to the patient if not immediately treated.
- Anesthesia – All surgeries requiring anesthesia carry a small risk of airway complications, allergic reactions and nausea.
- Noncompliance – If patterns of stress eating or overeating persist after surgery, the outcome will not be successful. Therefore, patients undergoing weight loss procedures must comply with their surgeon’s aftercare directives to experience successful weight loss.
- Malnutrition – Because most bariatric procedures rely on food passing more quickly through the digestive tract, weight loss surgery patients also carry a greater risk of developing malnutrition. Malnutrition is treatable by taking the appropriate supplements as your doctor recommends.
- Hernias – There is a higher risk of developing hernias after bariatric procedures. However, a physician can often easily address this situation through additional surgical interventions. Although weight loss surgery may increase the risk of such hernias, so can obesity.
Why You Should Consider Bariatric Surgery in Mexico
If you’re considering weight loss surgery, you may be surprised by the cost of these procedures in the United States. It is not uncommon to pay thousands of dollars and wait for several months as insurance companies determine if you are eligible for coverage. However, Mexico offers the same high-quality bariatric care at substantially lower rates. There are several reasons to consider weight loss surgery in Mexico.
- Much lower out-of-pocket cost – While insurance companies in Mexico do not usually cover bariatric surgery, the out-of-pocket costs associated with these procedures are much less expensive than in the United States.
- Quick and permanent weight loss – Those who adhere to post-operative instructions after weight loss surgery will experience an enhanced quality of life and sustained weight loss.
- Resolve comorbid health conditions – Secondary conditions that are associated with obesity can significantly impact your health. However, receiving bariatric surgery in Mexico can decrease the severity of some obesity-related medical conditions.
- Highly qualified medical personnel – Bariatric surgeons and staff in Mexico receive extensive training, and many surgeons also receive comprehensive medical training in the United States.
- High standards of care and professionalism – The standards of care in Mexico are comparable to American healthcare standards. In addition, bariatric care centers feature state-of-the-art equipment like those in America.
Each year, thousands of people ready to change their lives decide to schedule bariatric surgery in Mexico. Several different types of bariatric treatment options are available, and it’s important to discuss them with your doctor. They can help you pick the proper procedure to meet your needs and support you in your weight loss endeavors. If you’re ready to make a positive change in your life and invest in better health and well-being, contact Renew Bariatrics today.