Every year, thousands of people decide to regain control of their lives by receiving bariatric surgery in Mexico. Gastric sleeve surgery is an innovative surgical technique that has helped people struggling with obesity shed excess weight safely and effectively. If you are contemplating weight loss surgery and are frustrated with your lack of options in the United States, consider bariatric surgery in Mexico. In Mexico, you can receive gastric sleeve surgery within a few weeks of your initial consultation and enjoy a safe and seamless medical experience.
What Is Gastric Sleeve Surgery? How Does It Work?
Gastric sleeve surgery is a safe and minimally invasive surgical technique that can alleviate certain health conditions, including severe obesity. It benefits individuals who have attempted to lose weight through diet and exercise yet have seen little to no success despite their efforts.
During a gastric sleeve surgical procedure, the surgeon reduces the size of the patient’s stomach by removing a significant portion, leaving a pouch that resembles a tube or a sleeve. Reducing the stomach size will help the patient feel full more quickly after consuming significantly less food. This feeling of fullness lasts much longer, diminishing overconsumption and leading to significant weight loss. Many patients who receive gastric sleeve surgery enjoy long-term weight loss and a much higher quality of life.
The Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
There are several benefits of receiving gastric sleeve surgery. The surgical process is straightforward and requires minimal recovery time. Patients who undergo this surgical procedure will experience the following:
- Significant long-term weight loss – Most patients will lose at least half of their excess body weight within two years of surgery and usually maintain long-term weight loss.
- Improved health – Weight loss alleviates health conditions associated with obesity. These ailments include diabetes, high blood pressure and obstructive sleep apnea.
- Reduction of cravings – Because gastric sleeve surgery significantly decreases the stomach size, patients report fewer hunger cravings. Reducing cravings leads to less caloric intake, facilitating continued weight loss.
- Better quality of life – Patients report more energy and self-confidence. Those who undergo bariatric surgery and weight loss may also improve their longevity compared to those who are obese.
- Shorter recovery time – While other types of bariatric surgery may require a longer recovery time, the recovery time associated with gastric sleeve surgery is relatively short. Because it is less invasive, most patients only spend a night or two in the hospital and can return to their routine within a few days.
Requirements To Meet for Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Before scheduling your gastric sleeve surgery, you must meet several requirements. To qualify, you must:
- Have a BMI of 30 or higher
- Experience conditions associated with obesity, including diabetes, high blood pressure or sleep apnea
- Have attempted unsuccessful weight loss through diet and exercise
- While you must meet these conditions before surgery, your physician may exercise discretion during your evaluation to approve or disapprove you for the operation.
How Quickly Can I Schedule Surgery?
While patients in the United States often face substantial wait times for bariatric surgery due to insurance issues and extensive paperwork, patients can schedule their procedure in Mexico much more quickly.
In the United States, wait times between the initial consultation and the date of surgery may take several months. However, in Mexico, most patients only wait a few weeks to six weeks for surgery after their first consultation.
The ability to schedule surgery quickly is one of Gastric Sleeve in Mexico‘s draws. Allowing patients to have surgery on their timetable is what Renew Bariatrics strives for.
- Average Wait Time: 4-6 Weeks
- Shortest Wait Time: 2 Weeks (when available)
Please contact Renew Bariatrics’ today to learn more or call 844-736-3963.
Timeline Between First Consultation and Surgery
When deciding whether bariatric surgery is right for you, understanding what occurs during each step of the process is helpful. Following is an explanation of what to expect along the way.
- Initial phone consultation – The first phone consultation begins the process of receiving gastric sleeve surgery. You will complete a medical questionnaire, provide pictures and discuss your expectations and weight loss goals. The medical team will answer any questions you may have.
- Scheduling your surgery – The coordinator will call you to schedule the date of your surgery. You will also receive travel and pre-surgical instructions to ensure your travel to Mexico goes as smoothly as possible.
- Preparing for surgery – The medical team will ensure you are ready for your procedure. Preparations may include lab work, transportation, travel itinerary and onsite assistance once you arrive in Mexico.
- Day of surgery – On the date of your surgery, your surgeon will explain the process and benefits of the surgical procedure, answer your questions and discuss what to expect after your procedure is complete.
- Recovery – After your surgery, you will remain at the recovery center for several days to receive post-surgical care and minimize the chance of complications.
- Follow up – You will receive weekly follow-up phone calls from the medical team to check in on your weight loss progress and answer any additional questions as they arise.
Factors Determining Time Between Consultation and Surgical Procedure
While most patients can schedule their gastric sleeve surgery within a few weeks of their initial consultation, other factors may affect the timeline. These factors may include:
- How long it takes for you to decide to pursue surgery
- The time it takes to make your advanced payment
- Whether your surgeon requests additional medical testing
- Obtaining necessary medical and travel documentation
- Ability to adhere to the pre-op diet and exercise guidelines
- If you smoke, your willingness to abstain from smoking before surgery
- How quickly you can secure vacation time from your employer
- The availability and schedule of your bariatric surgeon
If you’re tired of struggling with excess weight and have found it challenging to meet your weight loss goals through healthy dietary and exercise habits, contact Renew Bariatrics for a consultation today. Soon you can be on your way toward enjoying a happier, healthier lifestyle.